Re: large object write performance

From: "Graeme B(dot) Bell" <graeme(dot)bell(at)nibio(dot)no>
To: Bram Van Steenlandt <bram(at)diomedia(dot)be>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: large object write performance
Date: 2015-10-08 10:25:02
Lists: pgsql-performance

> On 08 Oct 2015, at 11:17, Bram Van Steenlandt <bram(at)diomedia(dot)be> wrote:
>
> The database (9.2.9) on the server (freebsd10) runs on a zfs mirror.
> If I copy a file to the mirror using scp I get 37MB/sec
> My script achieves something like 7 or 8MB/sec on large (+100MB) files.

This may help - great blog article about ZFS with postgres and how use you can zfs compression to boost i/o performance substantially.
If your machine is making a lot of smaller writes in postgres (as opposed to presumably large writes by scp) then this may alleviate things a bit.

https://www.citusdata.com/blog/64-zfs-compression

Graeme Bell

p.s. Apologies for top-posting on my previous message.