Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.)

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.)
Date: 2019-06-26 22:48:16
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Tom> No zone1970.tab.

zone.tab is an adequate substitute - a fact which I thought was
sufficiently obvious as to not be worth mentioning.

(also see https://reviews.freebsd.org/D20646 )

Tom> I do not think we can rely on that file being there, since zic
Tom> itself doesn't install it; it's up to packagers whether or where
Tom> to install the "*.tab" files.

The proposed rules I suggested do work almost as well if zone[1970].tab
is absent, though obviously that's not the optimal situation. But are
there any systems which lack it? It's next to impossible to implement a
sane "ask the user what timezone to use" procedure without it.

Tom> In general, the point I'm trying to make is that our policy should
Tom> be "Ties are broken arbitrarily, and if you don't like the choice
Tom> that initdb makes, here's how to fix it".

Yes, you've repeated that point at some length, and I am not convinced.
Is anyone else?

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)