Re: Speedup usages of pg_*toa() functions

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Speedup usages of pg_*toa() functions
Date: 2020-06-11 06:52:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David> Pending any objections, I'd like to push both of these patches
David> in the next few days to master.

For the second patch, can we take the opportunity to remove the
extraneous blank line at the top of pg_ltoa, and add the two missing
"extern"s in builtins.h for pg_ultoa_n and pg_ulltoa_n ?

David> Anyone object to changing the signature of these functions in
David> 0002, or have concerns about allocating the maximum memory that
David> we might require in int8out()?

Changing the function signatures seems safe enough. The memory thing
only seems likely to be an issue if you allocate a lot of text strings
for bigint values without a context reset, and I'm not sure where that
would happen (maybe passing large bigint arrays to pl/perl or pl/python
would do it?)

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)