Re: BUG #14599: Segmentation fault and database corruption with hstore

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: coladict(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #14599: Segmentation fault and database corruption with hstore
Date: 2017-03-27 15:39:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

coladict> 3. "CREATE CAST (varchar AS hstore) WITHOUT FUNCTION AS
coladict> ASSIGNMENT;". If we skip step 4, everything works fine, but I
coladict> was afraid it might fail with longer strings, so I did that
coladict> anyway.

What on earth makes you think this is safe or useful? Creating a WITHOUT
FUNCTION cast opens a hole whereby you can feed values to the hstore
functions which are not actually valid hstores, so _of course_ it
crashes. (There's a good reason why only superusers can create such
casts.)

Once you've stored such a value in a table, then subsequent accesses to
it will of course crash too.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)