Re: MergeAppend could consider sorting cheapest child path

From: Andy Fan <zhihuifan1213(at)163(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alexander Pyhalov <a(dot)pyhalov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MergeAppend could consider sorting cheapest child path
Date: 2024-10-17 00:33:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Is this still being considered?

I'd +1 on this feature. I guess this would be more useful on parallel
case, where the Sort can be pushed down to parallel worker, and in the
distributed database case, where the Sort can be pushed down to multiple
nodes, at the result, the leader just do the merge works.

At the high level implementaion, sorting *cheapest* child path looks
doesn't add too much overhead on the planning effort.

--
Best Regards
Andy Fan