Re: problem with the build file?

From: Nic Ferrier <nferrier(at)tapsellferrier(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: problem with the build file?
Date: 2002-10-18 22:38:45
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com> writes:

> Nic,
>
> Your change shouldn't be necessary. Since even though the directory is
> excluded, the particular files in it that are referenced from the
> included directories will automatically be compiled because they are
> referenced from the other classes that are being compiled. That is the
> way javac works when compiling classes, it automatically compiles any
> dependent objects as well.

Ok, it's been a while since I studided javac.

But last time I looked javac couldn't find a source file if it had not been
passed to the compiler (on the command line, or as part of an @ file
or via the API).

The ANT task excludes the jdbc1 files from being passed to the
compiler.

I've just confirmed that this is broken. Here's what I did (with the
old ant script):

- added the line:

System.out.println("one");

to file org/postgresql/jdbc1/AbstractJdbc1ResultSet.java

- make (to build jdbc2)

the 1 file gets compiled.

- change the line to:

System.out.println("two");

- make (to build jdbc2)

No files get compiled.

Of course, the chanbge to "two" should be compiled but isn't because
ant has excluded the source file from the compiler.

So, I think it is necessary.

Nic