Re: Database migration across different operating systems

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Natalie Wenz <nataliewenz(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database migration across different operating systems
Date: 2019-01-09 08:32:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

Natalie> Thanks, Andrew.

Natalie> All of our databases do have lc_collate=C. To check my
Natalie> understanding, if that were not the case, we’d need to
Natalie> reindex, but since it is all lc_collate=C, we shouldn’t run
Natalie> into that particular problem. Did I get that right?

To be completely precise, it's not enough to have lc_collate=C, you also
need to not have indexed columns with individually specified non-default
collations. i.e. what matters is not so much the database setting, but
the actual collation being used for indexed columns (because it's the
collation that determines the order in which values appear in the

Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)