Re: Schema, databse, or tables in different system folder

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Schema, databse, or tables in different system folder
Date: 2009-06-03 16:13:40
Lists: pgsql-general

"Carlos Oliva" <olivac(at)earthlink(dot)net> writes:
> Would the backup be unrecoverable if I shutdown the databse first?

If the backup includes pg_xlog and pg_clog, as well as all of the
database metadata files, then whatever portions *are* included are
likely to be somewhat usable.

The portions not included in the backup will obviously not be usable.

But supposing your backup does not include *all* metadata (e.g. -
pg_catalog), pg_xlog and pg_clog, then it is unlikely that you'll be
able to recover *anything at all* from it.

The intent is that filesystem backups only work for complete backup
and restoration of an entire database cluster.

Backing up *part* of your filesystem is Not Recommended in the
documentation. If you set a policy of doing so, you have to accept
that you are doing this contrary to documented recommendations, and at
considerable peril to your data.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ofni.secnanifxunil" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/multiplexor.html