Re: database instance creation

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database instance creation
Date: 2011-02-18 16:19:27
Lists: pgsql-general

prabakaran(dot)a(at)zohocorp(dot)com ("prabakaran.a") writes:
> Dear All,
>
>  In Mysql, If we create a directory under mysql/data, mysql treated as
> database instance without starting mysql server.
>  Is there any similar provision in postgres where we can create a
> database instance without starting postgresql server.

Well, the Postgres program initdb is used to create a database instance;
it does not automatically start a server against it. That sounds like
that might be a similar provision.
build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is
winning." -- Rich Cook