Re: enable_constraint_exclusion GUC name

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: enable_constraint_exclusion GUC name
Date: 2005-08-22 22:06:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Greg Stark wrote:
> >
> > show_parser_stats true
> > enable_hashjoin true
> >
> > Nouns sound stranger and more awkward:
> >
> > geqo true
> > parser_stats true
> > hashjoin true
>
> Interesting analysis. No verb in there.

Note that the verb isn't always the same and what verb is chosen helps someone
understand what the server will do.

show_parser_stats is going to "show" something.
add_missing_from is going to "add" something.

So what will standards_compliant_strings make the server *do*?

It's going to ignore backslash escapes. Perhaps the option should be something
like "interpret_nonstandard_string_escapes" or something like that.

I actually don't really like "interpret" but I can't think of anything else at
the moment.

--
greg