Re: pg, mysql comparison with "group by" clause

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: "Anthony Molinaro" <amolinaro(at)wgen(dot)net>
Cc: "Greg Stark" <gsstark(at)MIT(dot)EDU>, "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, "Stephan Szabo" <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, "Rick Schumeyer" <rschumeyer(at)ieee(dot)org>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg, mysql comparison with "group by" clause
Date: 2005-10-14 07:21:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Anthony Molinaro" <amolinaro(at)wgen(dot)net> writes:

> More awkward? What *you're* suggesting is more awkward. You realize that
> right? How can syntax that is understood and accepted for years be more
> awkward?

Well gosh, I would say that that's something only a newbie could say about
SQL of all things...

I had a whole thing written after that but I just deleted it. I grow tired of
this thread.

I am pretty happy to hear that the SQL standard endorsed the idea having the
right thing happen if the primary key is present in the grouping list. That
would be a wonderful feature for Postgres.

--
greg