Re: 2 PGSQL instances in the same server

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 2 PGSQL instances in the same server
Date: 2010-11-04 16:38:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

rbarreca(at)gmail(dot)com (Ramiro Barreca) writes:
> We need to have, for migration, either an instance of our actual PG 8.4.4 and a
> new one of PG 9.0 for testing.
> Where can we found a paper for helping us?
> Our platform is Centos 5.4 x86 64 bits

The "complication" to this is that it is quite likely not simple to do
this using pre-packaged (e.g. - RPM files) Postgres builds.

Anyone that's involved with building Postgres tends to have tooling
handy to help have multiple versions of Postgres around.

I have a script I use for this sort of thing:
<https://github.com/cbbrowne/pginit>

Greg Smith has something analagous, though more sophisticated:
<https://github.com/gregs1104/peg>

It amounts to:

1. Installing both versions of software;
2. Possibly using scripts to help manage where the results get
installed.

If you're accustomed to entrusting installation totally to RPM-based
installations of Postgres, you're headed into new territory to have to
choose and configure where the installations are done. But it's really
no big deal - it's not unusual for me to install several different
instances of Postgres in the course of an hour, refreshing some
instances I use to test Slony-I.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "linuxfinances.info")
"In the free software world, a rising tide DOES lift all boats, and