Re: BUG #15525: Build failures when compiling Postgres with Make parallelization

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #15525: Build failures when compiling Postgres with Make parallelization
Date: 2018-11-30 00:12:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Thomas> But just for the record, while we're doing amateur software
Thomas> archeology: I'm pretty sure Apple's libtool/ranlib is not
Thomas> derived from BSD... it says it's from NeXT and has no
Thomas> University of California copyright. They probably needed
Thomas> something different to work with Mach-O objects, whereas
Thomas> ancient BSD used a.out and modern BSDen use ELF. It also
Thomas> supports their funky fat/universal libraries which NeXT and
Thomas> Apple used to change CPU architectures several times
Thomas> surprisingly smoothly. I don't see anything like that utime()
Thomas> in either modern FreeBSD (where it's been rewritten at least
Thomas> once) or ancient 4.4BSD lite sources.

I also noticed that an Apple manpage mentions that the linker at one
time compared the mod-time of the .a file with the embedded timestamp of
its archive symbol table member, which is probably why the utime() call
existed in the first place. I don't recall that behavior in other
linkers, offhand.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)