From: Seb <spluque(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: indexes
Date: 2010-01-15 16:04:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I have some views and queries that take a bit too long to return, so
perhaps some judicious indexes might help, but I don't know much about
how to use them. The PostgreSQL manual has a good section on indexes,
but I can't find guidance on (unless I missed something):

o How to decide what columns need an index?
o Should all foreign keys have an index?
o Naming conventions?
o Does PostgreSQL use available indexes that can be useful in any query,
without the user having to do anything in particular?

I'd appreciate any pointers to documents with guidance on these
questions. Thanks.

--
Seb