Re: UTF8 problem

From: Douglas McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
To: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
Cc: Alban Hertroys <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UTF8 problem
Date: 2006-06-08 11:25:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de> writes:

> Alban Hertroys schrieb:
>> Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
>>
>>> Well, to answer my own question, I hacked the source code of DBMail
>>> and had it set the client encoding to LATIN1 immediately after
>>> database connect, this seems to have fixed the problem.
>> LATIN1 != UTF-8. Your problem isn't solved yet.
>>

> Well, this enables postgres to translate the encoding.
> However I would be unsure if dbmail always sends latin-1
> anyway.

I would think it would (at least potentially) vary with each message.
The dbmail software should really set client_encoding based on the
Content-Transfer-Encoding header in the message (or whatever it's
called).

LATIN-1 is one of the most common encodings for email but it's
scarcely the only one...

-Doug