Re: genetic algorithm in PostgreSQL

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: iafmgc(at)unileon(dot)es
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: genetic algorithm in PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-09-18 16:39:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

iafmgc(at)unileon(dot)es writes:
> I would like to know if you have any sample program, or simple
> query optimization which I could start playing around with, to show
> the optimization posibilities of genetic algorithms in PostgreSQL.

Well, the code for the GEQO implementation in PostgreSQL is open --
you can just take a look at that. I'm not aware of any simpler
versions, unfortunately.

> If this is not possible, If you dont mind please give me any
> further links that could be interesting for me.

There's some literature on the subject that you should probably read:

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/bennett91genetic.html
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/stillger96genetic.html

If you're unfamiliar with database query optimization itself, I found
this to be a good survey of the field:

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/371707.html

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC