Re: V0.2 patch for TODO Item: SQL-language referenceparameters by name.

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Gevik Babakhani" <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: V0.2 patch for TODO Item: SQL-language referenceparameters by name.
Date: 2007-11-03 17:21:52
Lists: pgsql-patches

"David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:

> What I mean by "kinda" is that it's a standard way of handling
> parameters in Oracle and in DBI.

That's a good reason *not* to use them for other purposes. Users trying to
create procedures through DBI or other interfaces like it will run into
problems when the driver misinterprets the parameters.

> I think it would be a very bad idea
> to require that people use the function name in parameters,

I think were talking about only allowing it to disambiguate if the name is
shadowed by a variable in an inner scope.

--
Gregory Stark