Re: BUG #13863: Select from views gives wrong results

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, wrb <wrb(at)autistici(dot)org>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs\(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #13863: Select from views gives wrong results
Date: 2016-01-18 12:54:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On 16 January 2016 at 13:12, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>> Hm, I'm a bit hesitant to potentially noticeably regress plans here,
>> although it seems unikely that already "relies" on this. Can't we
>> essentially treat references to columns which can be set to null by
>> due to a grouping set, as containing an agg clause and only prevent
>> moving in that case?

Dean> I suppose it could be done, but it seems like a fair bit of
Dean> work. It would be a bit like check_ungrouped_columns() except
Dean> that it would only be safe to move the clause if it only referred
Dean> to expressions that appeared in the intersection of all the
Dean> grouping sets. I think that would rule out most real-world
Dean> examples, including just about anything using rollup or cube, so
Dean> I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.

Obvious question is, can we keep the optimization in the case that the
qual is strict? and if so, should we?

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)