Re: what happens to postmaster?

From: Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: 'zach cruise' <zachc1980(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: what happens to postmaster?
Date: 2010-06-22 18:21:01
Lists: pgsql-general

This is a relational database. All those things are handled automatically. The whole idea of a multi-user DBMS like PostgreSQL is that you can have concurrent access.

PostgreSQL uses MVCC. Here is an article that explains how it works. If you read it perhaps you will feel more comfortable:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiversion_concurrency_control