Re: Prepping to break every past release...

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Prepping to break every past release...
Date: 2009-03-10 17:23:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 15:02 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> Yeh Andrew said. That I never noticed in the last 3+ years makes
>> me think there's not many people using it...

The fact that it never got beyond an early incomplete alpha version is
a big factor in that.

Joshua> Well I know of it and have never used it. Mainly because I
Joshua> didn't (and still don't) really know what it does. From an
Joshua> outsider looking in, the project is dead. The home page isn't
Joshua> updated (it talks about 8.1) and the CVS repo appears to not
Joshua> have had a commit in 2 years.

Other than some experiments in getting it to load on 8.2, there hasn't
been any serious work done on it since May 2005, which is when it was
presented (and shot down) on -hackers.

The lack of useful feedback from -hackers also means that the design
hasn't had much criticism, and therefore I don't regard the current
definitions, the naming conventions, etc., as being cast in stone;
which is another reason for people not to use it as it stands.

(The plan we had when we started on it was to produce an alpha version
as a proof-of-concept, present it on -hackers, get feedback, use that
to sort out the naming conventions and a definitive set of
definitions, and produce a beta version intended to be in the final
form.)

--
Andrew.