Re: Query execution in Perl TAP tests needs work

From: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query execution in Perl TAP tests needs work
Date: 2023-10-18 15:06:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> ... At the same time, fallbacks can be a problem too,
>> because then you can end up with things that work one way on one
>> developer's machine (or BF machine) and another way on another
>> developer's machine (or BF machine) and it's not obvious that the
>> reason for the difference is that one machine is using a fallback and
>> the other is not.
>
> I agree with this worry.
>
>> In terms of what that faster and better thing might be, AFAICS, there
>> are two main options. First, we could proceed with the approach you've
>> tried here, namely requiring everybody to get Platypus::FFI. I find
>> that it's included in MacPorts on my machine, which is at least
>> somewhat of a good sign that perhaps this is fairly widely available.
>
> I did a bit of research on this on my favorite platforms, and did
> not like the results:
>
> RHEL8: does not seem to be packaged at all.
>
> Fedora 37: available, but the dependencies are a bit much:
>
> $ sudo yum install perl-FFI-Platypus
> Last metadata expiration check: 2:07:42 ago on Wed Oct 18 08:05:40 2023.
> Dependencies resolved.
> Package Architecture Version Repository Size
> Installing:
> perl-FFI-Platypus x86_64 2.08-1.fc37 updates 417 k
> Installing dependencies:
> libgfortran x86_64 12.3.1-1.fc37 updates 904 k
> libquadmath x86_64 12.3.1-1.fc37 updates 206 k
> libquadmath-devel x86_64 12.3.1-1.fc37 updates 48 k
> perl-FFI-CheckLib noarch 0.29-2.fc37 updates 29 k
> Installing weak dependencies:
> gcc-gfortran x86_64 12.3.1-1.fc37 updates 12 M
>
> Transaction Summary
> Install 6 Packages
>
> Total download size: 14 M
> Installed size: 37 M
> Is this ok [y/N]:
>
> gfortran? Really?? I mean, I don't care about the disk space,
> but this is not promising for anyone who has to build it themselves.

The Fortran support for FFI::Platypus is in a separate CPAN distribution
(FFI-Platypus-Lang-Fortran), so that must be some quirk of the Fedora
packaging and not a problem for people building it themselves. They
just need libffi and a working Perl/CPAN setup.

On Debian the only things besides Perl and core perl modules it
(build-)depends on are libffi, Capture::Tiny, FFI::Checklib (which
depends on File::Which), Test2::Suite and pkg-config.

- ilmari