Re: Converting README documentation to Markdown

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Converting README documentation to Markdown
Date: 2024-07-01 09:42:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 28 Jun 2024, at 20:40, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> wrote:

> If we're going to do it, then I expect that the files are marked up correctly at all times.

I agree with that. I don't think it will be a terribly high bar though since we
were pretty much already writing markdown. We already have pandoc in the meson
toolchain, adding a target to check syntax should be doable.

> Conversely, what's the best that could happen?

One of the main goals of this work was to make sure the documentation renders
nicely on platforms which potential new contributors consider part of the
fabric of writing code. We might not be on Github (and I'm not advocating that
we should) but any new contributor we want to attract is pretty likely to be
using it. The best that can happen is that new contributors find the postgres
code more approachable and get excited about contributing to postgres.

--
Daniel Gustafsson