Re: libpq_r

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq_r
Date: 2003-07-25 22:20:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > I still think it is confusing to create a libpq_r on platforms that have
> > no _r libraries. I am on BSD/OS and I can find only _r library on my
> > entire system,
>
> The criterion is not whether the platform has _r libraries, it's whether
> special actions are required in order to make a library fit for threaded
> programs, at the time that library is built. Such special actions may
> include:

No, there's one more criterion: And those special actions make the library
unsuitable for use in programs not compiled to use threads.

For example, on Debian *all* libraries are compiled with -D_REENTANT -fPIC.
Anything else would be a major headache for the distribution.

It causes a 3-5% performance drop on i386 and much less on other
architectures. However then all libraries are suitable for use in both
threaded and non-threaded applications.

There may still be some architectures out there where two versions are needed.
But I'm not aware of any.

--
greg