Re: BUG #12035: Prepared Transactions cannot be ROLLBACKed

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ludwig(dot)adam(at)petafuel(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #12035: Prepared Transactions cannot be ROLLBACKed
Date: 2014-11-23 16:39:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

ludwig(dot)adam(at)petafuel(dot)de writes:
> Matheus0l on #postgresql asked me to file a bug on this: Our setup is two
> postgres servers in streaming replication controlled by pgpool II. After a
> failover (i.e. slave got promoted) we had around 16 Prepared Transactions in
> pg_prepared_xacts for the new master, locking some tables.

> However we were unable to Perform "ROLLBACK prepared 'gid'"- it gave us the
> error message:"
> ERROR: cannot rollback prepared transaction 'gid'- transaction is busy."

I cannot find any occurrence of such an error message in the Postgres
source code (either HEAD or 9.1.x). So I think this message must have
come from some other code --- perhaps whatever you're using for a 2PC
controller? If that controller saw the old master and new master as
two different systems, it's not too surprising that it got confused.