Re: Database migration across different operating systems

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Natalie Wenz <nataliewenz(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database migration across different operating systems
Date: 2019-01-08 09:06:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

Natalie> We are in an unusual circumstance, where we need to move all
Natalie> of our Postgres 10 databases from their homes on servers
Natalie> running FreeBSD 11 with ZFS to servers in another data center
Natalie> running Red Hat Linux 7.6 (also with ZFS), with minimal
Natalie> downtime.

[...]

Natalie> We’ve tested this procedure on a small database, and it
Natalie> starts, it runs, returns queries. There seems to be no issues.

Natalie> Is this a reasonable approach? Are there any known
Natalie> concerns/things to investigate before choosing this course?

Locales will bite you unless your databases all have lc_collate=C or
you're using ICU for all collations); you will need, at minimum, to
reindex every index containing a collatable column with an OS-provided
collation (i.e. not ICU and not C / POSIX).

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)