Re: Encoding/collation question

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Encoding/collation question
Date: 2019-12-12 05:03:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Rich> I doubt that my use will notice meaningful differences. Since
Rich> there are only two or three databases in UTF8 and its collation
Rich> perhaps I'll convert those to LATIN1 and C.

Note that it's perfectly fine to use UTF8 encoding and C collation (this
has the effect of sorting strings in Unicode codepoint order); this is
as fast for comparisons as LATIN1/C is.

For those cases where you need data to be sorted in a
culturally-meaningful order rather than in codepoint order, you can set
collations on specific columns or in individual queries.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)