Re: pgsql/src/test/regress (GNUmakefile pg_regress.sh)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql/src/test/regress (GNUmakefile pg_regress.sh)
Date: 2000-11-22 00:49:22
Lists: pgsql-committers

Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org> writes:
> What if the compiler (native) is xlc (AIX?) ?

At the moment, we only know of a need to distinguish gcc from
vendor-supplied compilers, so I think Peter's solution of "gcc" or "cc"
is OK until proven inadequate. It's going to be fairly difficult to
come up with a portable method of identifying compilers more closely
than that, anyway. Looking at the pathname would be easily fooled,
and moreover not necessarily good enough: HP ships two considerably
different compilers for HPUX, but calls 'em both cc :-(

Let's try this for now, and worry about better ideas when and if we
need one.

(Eventually I think we're going to have to tweak the geometry tests
to round off the last couple digits, which should eliminate most
of the problem anyway...)