Fractional Results

From: pocm(at)rnl(dot)ist(dot)utl(dot)pt (Paulo J(dot) Matos)
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fractional Results
Date: 2002-02-02 01:26:57
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi all,

I'm doing a sql query to get an average of some tables. SQL has
an average command but unfortunately we cannot use it since out
information is not in only one column, we've done the following:
select temp1.espl / temp2.iluminados
from (select count(*) as espl from esp) as temp1,
(select count(distinct id) as iluminados from esp) as temp2;

After some testing i found out that temp1.espl / temp2.iluminados
gives us always the floor of the real value. I would like the
fractional number instead of the floor.
Any ideas on this topic?

Best regards,
--
Paulo J. Matos : pocm(_at_)rnl.ist.utl.pt
Instituto Superior Tecnico - Lisbon