Re: 7.0.2 -> 7.1 performance drop

From: Jason Earl <jason(dot)earl(at)simplot(dot)com>
To: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
Cc: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>, "Brent R(dot) Matzelle" <bmatzelle(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.0.2 -> 7.1 performance drop
Date: 2001-11-13 00:13:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com> writes:

> Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca> writes:
>
> > A little more pondering and I remember that I looked a little
> > closer at startup parms during the PG upgrade. I had removed -F option.
> > Put it back in and runtime dropped to 10 minutes again - problem solved!
>
> You do understand the implications of -F for your data integrity,
> right?

Of course, he is rebuilding these tables from scratch every night. My
guess is that integrity is not much of an issue.

On the other hand Frank, If you could work your inserts into one large
transaction you would probably get quite a bit of the benefits of
removing the -F option without risking the integrity of your database.

Jason