Re: enabling tcpip_socket by default

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: enabling tcpip_socket by default
Date: 2004-05-17 21:53:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org> writes:

> Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> writes:
>
> > Marko Karppinen <marko(at)karppinen(dot)fi> writes:

> > Huh? Why on earth would that be true? Is this a limitation of our JDBC
> > drivers?
>
> Java doesn't support Unix domain sockets. If you want to use JDBC,
> you have to use TCP sockets.

That doesn't follow. That just means you can't implement a unix domain socket
driver using only Java. Is there some reason the driver has to be pure a Java
driver?

I had always assumed the JDBC driver isn't currently pure java and is just an
API wrapper around libpq. Writing and maintaining a pure java driver would be
much more work and be much slower for no practical gain.

--
greg