Re: libpq++ build problems

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, jtv <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq++ build problems
Date: 2002-07-07 16:03:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Looking at configure.in, it looks pretty safe:

> if test "$ac_env_CXXFLAGS" != set; then
> if test "$GXX" = yes; then
> CXXFLAGS=-O2
> else
> case $template in
> osf) CXXFLAGS='-O4 -Olimit 2000' ;;
> unixware) CXXFLAGS='-O' ;;
> *) CXXFLAGS= ;;
> esac
> fi

> Because CXXFLAGS is already set for freebsd/alpha, it falls through,

I don't think so; the ac_env_ flag presumably indicates whether
configure inherited CXXFLAGS from its environment, not whether it
set it internally.

But even if setting CXXFLAGS in the template did override this code,
it would be a mistake, because the point of this code is to allow a
choice between g++-specific and vendor's-compiler-specific CXXFLAGS.

Perhaps we could do something like this:

# set defaults for most platforms
GCC_CXXFLAGS="-O2"
VENDOR_CXXFLAGS=

# now include template, which may override either of the above

# now select proper CXXFLAGS
if test "$ac_env_CXXFLAGS" != set; then
if test "$GXX" = yes; then
CXXFLAGS="$GCC_CXXFLAGS"
else
CXXFLAGS="$VENDOR_CXXFLAGS"
fi
fi

This would allow us to push the special cases for osf and unixware out
into their template files, which would be a Good Thing.