Re: GiST, Not Using Index

From: Itai Zukerman <zukerman(at)math-hat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GiST, Not Using Index
Date: 2003-02-27 21:15:03
Lists: pgsql-sql

>> [...some definitions...]
>
> Never leave out the "unimportant" stuff --- that's usually where you
> went wrong ;-)

OK, I've attached below the SQL I use to generate stuff and an
interactive session with the "explain" etc. The table has 40000 rows,
I do a VACUUM before doing a select, and (what I really don't
understand) the "explain verbose" doesn't mention anything about an index.

> My guess is that you didn't supply a restriction selectivity estimator
> for the ~>= operator.

I'm using contsel and contjoinsel, which I pulled from the rtree_gist
example.

Anyway, hoping you can help...