Re: Documentation improvement patch

From: Oleg Sibiryakov <o(dot)sibiryakov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation improvement patch
Date: 2024-09-13 10:50:14
Lists: pgsql-docs

Here is a patch without the builtin/built-in corrections (find attached).

But I still believe the issue should be discussed further.
We actually have two options: it is either a spelling mistake (since
built-in should written with a hyphen), or we miss the <literal> tag
(since it is actually also a value).

So I do think we cannot really leave it as is.

--
Oleg Sibiryakov

On 11.09.2024 12:53, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 10.09.24 15:02, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> On 10 Sep 2024, at 13:46, Oleg Sibiryakov
>>> <o(dot)sibiryakov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Since we do not want to use <literal> here, I suggest we
>>> hyphenate it as "built-in". What's your take on it?
>>
>> I think that's the right choice given the hyphenation used in the
>> rest of the
>> docs.  There are a few more places on that same page which should be
>> built-in
>> rather than builtin to separate the concept from the parameter value.
>
> I suspect that this would lead to the opposite confusion, people
> complaining that the provider is called "builtin" not "built-in".
>
> Arguably, the other providers are also "built in".  There are no
> user-pluggable providers at this time.

Attachment Content-Type Size
doc-improvements_v2.patch text/x-patch 62.9 KB