Re: Catching up with performance & PostgreSQL 15

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Mladen Gogala <gogala(dot)mladen(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Catching up with performance & PostgreSQL 15
Date: 2022-11-29 14:31:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

> IMO it was a mistake to turn JIT on in the default config, so that's one
> thing you'll likely want to change.

I wouldn't necessarily go quite that far, but I do think that the
default cost thresholds for invoking it are enormously too low,
or else there are serious bugs in the cost-estimation algorithms
for deciding when to use it. A nearby example[1] of a sub-1-sec
partitioned query that took 30sec after JIT was enabled makes me
wonder if we're accounting correctly for per-partition JIT costs.

regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/B6025887-D73F-4B5B-9925-4DA4B675F7E5%40elevated-dev.com