Re: porting question: funky uid names?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Mark Bixby <mark(at)bixby(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: porting question: funky uid names?
Date: 2001-03-09 21:14:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> cat "$GLOBAL" \
> | sed -e "s/POSTGRES/$POSTGRES_SUPERUSERNAME/g" \
> -e "s/PGUID/$POSTGRES_SUPERUSERID/g" \
> | "$PGPATH"/postgres $BACKENDARGS template1

> For some reason the line probably ends up being

> insert OID = 0 ( MGR BIXBY 484 t t t t _null_ _null_ )
> ^
> which causes the observed failure to parse BIXBY as user id.

Good thought. Just looking at this, I wonder if we shouldn't flip the
order of the sed patterns --- as is, won't it mess up if the superuser
name contains PGUID?

A further exercise would be to make it not foul up if the superuser name
contains '/'. I'd be kind of inclined to use ':' for the pattern
delimiter, since in normal Unix practice usernames can't contain colons
(cf. passwd file format). Of course one doesn't generally put a slash
in a username either, but I think it's physically possible to do it...

But none of these fully explain Mark's problem. If we knew where the
"syntax error 25 : -> ." came from, we'd be closer to an answer.