Re: [HACKERS] Fwd: Joins and links

From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih(at)Norway(dot)EU(dot)net>
To: Bob Devine <devine(at)cs(dot)utah(dot)edu>
Cc: Leon <leon(at)udmnet(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Fwd: Joins and links
Date: 1999-07-09 07:32:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bob Devine <devine(at)cs(dot)utah(dot)edu> writes:

> 3) Be aware of hardware improvements. System performance is
> still doubling every 18 months. If a software hack can't match
> that rate, it is probably not worth doing.

I like Kernighan's and Pike's argument, presented in their recent
book, The Practice of Programming, that if a software improvement is
expected to save more accumulated user time than the programmer time
spent making it, then it should be considered worthwhile.

Great book, by the way. Highly recommended.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity. --Niles Crane, "Frasier"