Re: pg_restore new parameter request

From: Jerry Sievers <gsievers19(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Campbell\, Lance" <lance(at)illinois(dot)edu>, "pgsql-admin\(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore new parameter request
Date: 2015-11-23 17:37:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 7:37 AM, Campbell, Lance <lance(at)illinois(dot)edu> wrote:
>
> Without the indexes the production system would run slower until they were applied but at least I would be up and running.
>
> ​At least until excessive sequential scanning overloads the I/O subsystem and you max out your processes, connections and/or timeouts...
>
> I'd be curious to know if you've ever tried dropping all of your indexes and running your systems under somewhat realistic load levels.

Agreed. Unless the OPs app/DB are either tiny and utterly trivial or
the app that they're in a hurry to get online again is something that
just inserts data, then the notion of omitting all indexes is rather
far-fetched and I bet not too generally useful.

I can certainly imagine a scenario where there are very large tables
which have some indexes created just to support reporting/analytics
workloads which perhaps could be deferred in building till after most
other application aspects are running.

In such a case, then you'd want just to omit and/or reorder building
those after everything else.

FWIW

--
Jerry Sievers