Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What The... PostgreSQL "Activity Book" ;)
Date: 2023-10-07 23:10:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 7/10/23 23:05, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Sat, 2023-10-07 at 10:22 +1030, Shane Ambler wrote:
>> So "Oracle the company" does provide support for standard PostgreSQL
>> software running within an Oracle Cloud instance.
>
> I don't know if they porvide support. Cloud hosting companies are usually
> not that interested in providing support. They want their customers to pay
> their monthly dues without generating any extra work for them.

Well from their product news -
https://blogs.oracle.com/cloud-infrastructure/post/expand-managed-open-source-services-on-oci

"OCI Database with PostgreSQL is a fully managed PostgreSQL database
service ..."

"Fully managed" should mean they keep the system and PostgreSQL running
and you only get to access the server as a client, so they have to
provide some level of support.

> And what I have been told about the development of the quality of Oracle
> support in the last decade or so, support by Oracle doesn't sound exactly
> appealing (beside the fact that they probably know little about PostgreSQL).
No one said their support was good ;) only that they offer it.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz