Re: 9.4 pg_dump use on 9.0 db

From: Jerry Sievers <gsievers19(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Ray Stell <stellr(at)vt(dot)edu>, "pgsql-admin\(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.4 pg_dump use on 9.0 db
Date: 2015-01-13 18:06:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

> * Stephen Frost (sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net) wrote:
>
>> Looking at pg_dump, for my 2c anyway, it'd be nicer if we threw an error
>> on parallel dump request when the major version doesn't support
>> synchronized snapshots, unless the user explicitly passed
>> --no-synchronized-snapshots, indicating that they don't care.
>
> Ah, bah, we do that already. Good on us. I was looking at where the
> snapshot is actually taken and didn't notice the earlier check.

The OP didn't mention if the DB is huge and/or inconvenient to quiesce.

But in any case, doing a --jobs N dump from a per-snapshot origin system
requuires the system be quiescent just long enough to get the pg_dump
master process and all workers connected.

I assume this is due to pg_dump running all of its N workers each using
a persistent connection and in a serialized transaction.

Thus --jobs --no-sync-snap is very slick indeedy!!

FYI

--
Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting