archive folder housekeeping

From: "ascot(dot)moss(at)gmail(dot)com" <ascot(dot)moss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: ascot(dot)moss(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: archive folder housekeeping
Date: 2013-08-09 09:38:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

Hi,

I have enabled archive in PG (v 9.2.4):

archive_mode = on
archive_command = 'test ! -f /usr/local/pgsql/data/archive/%f && cp %p /usr/local/pgsql/data/archive/%f'

I know that pg_xlog folder is maintained by PostgreSQL automatically, when the pg_xlog folder hits to certain limit (pg_xlog is full), it will automatically archive old log files into the archive folder. Is the parameter wal_keep_segments used to control this limit?

On the other hand, will PostgreSQL also automatically maintain the archive folder by itself or I need to do some housekeeping job to maintain it from time to time? Is there any PG manual command available to remove archived files by (archive) date/time?

Can you please advise?

regards