Re: High I/O writes activity on disks causing images on browser to lag and not load

From: Jennifer Trey <jennifer(dot)trey(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High I/O writes activity on disks causing images on browser to lag and not load
Date: 2009-06-03 14:30:55
Lists: pgsql-general

I accidentally replied only to Grzegorz before so I don't think it turned up
on the mailing list. Here it is again. (Bill, I will try to answer your
email in a minute) ---
Thank you for you answer :)
2009/6/3 Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>

> move postgresql to another disc if possible.

I have 2 disks thats the best Samsung has to offer :
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/productType.do?group=72#(HE103UJ,
at the bottom of page)
First splitted on
C:100GB ( Windows Server drive with postgreSQL installation )
E: 800GB with PostgreSQL data.
I: Pictures
Do you suggest that I move the PostgreSQL data to another disk or all of
it? Including the installation?

> You have really slow
> discs if that happen,

By that you mean, that writes occur if one has to slow disks?

> or perhaps it does loads of seq scans, because
> of lack of indices.

Its possible that its the lack of indices, but they are pretty many. Most of
the fetching thats being done is through a primary key. However when using
search, there is a1-2 JOINS in each search. Does perhaps a JOIN force a
writing to the disk?

> All in all, it seems like your server is to low spec for what you are
> trying to do.

Not sure about that Grzegorz, its a pretty powerful computer :) and I don't
have that much data and traffic yet..
Normally, should the writes really be more than the reads?
Intel Quad Core 2.4 GHz
8GB Memory
Asus P5B Motherboard (Standard Version)
Windows Web Server 2008 x64 (trial)
PostgreSQL 32bit
Application running Java x64 and on Jetty Server 6
2 Samung Disks...
Thanks / Jennifer