Now I am back, next thing. Final PGS tuning.

From: Jennifer Trey <jennifer(dot)trey(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Now I am back, next thing. Final PGS tuning.
Date: 2009-04-08 14:01:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Ok,

I have left the previous thread. After changing the last permissions, even
though it said Access Denied, suddenly PostgreSQL started to work again. I
will not dig any further to the strangeness.

I copied the content of the.conf from tuning wizard and restarted. Still
working!

I want to say thanks to several people on that thread :) Thank you!

I would like to further tune the tuning wizards recommendations though. I
think it put itself on the lower scale.

I have 8GB memory, Intel Quad Core 2.4Ghz with 8MB L2 cache. I am running
Windows Web Server 2008 x64 and will be running a Java (64 bit version)
application.

I want to give the java app room for working on 2-3GB. The operating system
is currently consuming around 1GB but lets give it a little more room. Lets
give it a total of 2GB.

That leaves 8-3-2 = 3 GB for PostgreSQL alone. Sounds good?

Here is my config file :

http://85.235.31.35/resources/postgresql.conf

I see there is a setting

*max_connections = 100*

What does this do? Should I be looking at this as max similtaneous queries ?
is 100 really enough? I think I want to max this more.

I am looking for a worst scenario around like 50-100 similitaneous user
clicks (per second?). But the querying might be around like 200 queries per
seocond, not really, but I want to be prepared. :)

I would appreciate if could have a discussion on these topics. On whats
important and whats not.

Here is some other settings I am thinking about :

*effective_cache_size = 449697*

is this kilo bytes ? Is this a good value?

*maintenance_work_mem = 16384 *

*work_mem = 1024 # I think this is kb. Way to low, right? What is a better
value?*

*shared_buffers = 1024 # min 128kB or max_connections*16kB ## Also to low.
Right? I've got 3GB to work with!*

*wal_buffers = 256 # Also kB...*

Please give your thoughts. I was also wondering about the Vacuum, force
reindex and stuff. Are those things good to run once in a while? Force
sounds a little brutal though!

Something else I should consider?

/ Jennifer