Re: PGS Tuning Wizard destroys my login

From: Jennifer Trey <jennifer(dot)trey(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGS Tuning Wizard destroys my login
Date: 2009-04-08 11:16:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Look, I am telling now what I did.

I don't want to hear claims about how its not the tuning wizards fault. It
is!

And it does more than the postgresql.conf because thats not true.
Just until today I have been able to login and logout, using pgAdmin to my
DB.

Now, after considering what you said, I tried once more! And I am getting
tired of this whole process.

I installed the tuning wizard. I got myself a new postgresql.conf and it
renamed the old one which I noted.

I opened my pgAdmin, logged in, worked fine (I guess the changes require
some kind of restart). I restarted my computer and we are back with the old
pattern where I cannot login, not with pgAdmin, not with my java-app and not
with sql shell :
Username [postgres]:
psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting
TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

Press any key to continue . . .

looking at the pgadmin.log i see this :
2009-04-08 02:03:01 ERROR : server closed the connection unexpectedly
before or while processing the request.

I replaced the new postgresql.conf with the old one. Restarted my computer
again. And still the problems are there. Last time I had to uninstall
postgre (the time before I reformatted the computer) .. so I would like this
to work this time around.

About taking ownership, its not working for me either, (I am trying to
delete the data folder that was left from the previous installation) but it
refuses to let me delete two folders (base, pg_log) but I guess thats more a
windows server issue.
Lets concentrate on the first problem.

How can I fix it ?
/ Jennifer