Re: remove shmmax example in Linux section

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: gorka(dot)gil(at)openbravo(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: remove shmmax example in Linux section
Date: 2017-07-31 18:48:29
Lists: pgsql-docs

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 7/21/17 06:18, gorka(dot)gil(at)openbravo(dot)com wrote:
>> In &quot;Linux&quot; section, show an example of setting shmmax to 16GB, when this
>> change is not needed from pg 9.3.
>>
>> Maybe just remove to avoid confusion?
>> Maybe also shmall also not needed ?

> It's still needed in some cases, so I don't see why we can't have an
> example.

I wonder whether it'd make sense to recast those examples as increasing
semaphore-related settings, as that's much more likely to be needed these
days. I had to boost the SEMMNI setting on my workstation just last week.
(Admittedly, I had something like a dozen postmasters going, but still,
that was an actual change I had to make.) It'd be particularly valuable
to document this for Linux, with its opaque "kernel.sem" API for the
semaphore limits.