Re: Postgres-XL

From: SQL Padawan <sql_padawan(at)protonmail(dot)com>
To: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres-XL
Date: 2021-11-27 17:39:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Saturday, November 27th, 2021 at 17:12, Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com> wrote:

> Στις 27/11/21 7:01 μ.μ., ο/η SQL Padawan έγραψε:

> > > Postgres-XL is not exactly a replication solution but it is ACID compliant and it doesn't have problem with sequences. It is a decent high availability solution. More information is available here: https://www.postgres-xl.org/
> > >
> > > It hasn't moved in almost 3 years? A Marie-Céleste project?

> You know that "free" in software is one thing and "free" beer another.

Yes of course - and I'm not criticising or pointing fingers at anyone involved in that project.

It's just that it has been **my experience** that software always has issues - esp. a piece of distributed software whose foundation is also v. complex.

PostgreSQL 10 is at version 19 - the XL project hasn't moved since 10.1 - doesn't inspire confidence in me anyway - and I personally would be very hesitant about recommending what is, AFAICS, abandon-ware.

YMMV - with all respect,

SQLP!