Is the primary key constraint also an index?

From: "Tim Uckun" <timuckun(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is the primary key constraint also an index?
Date: 2008-08-13 02:18:17
Lists: pgsql-general

If I have a primary key constraint defined in the database do I also
need to create an index on that field for fast lookup?

The documentation on the web seems to imply that the contraint is not
an index. Is that right?

What the difference between creating a unique, not null index and
setting a primary key?

Thanks.