Re: BUG #4726: pg_dumpall -f doesn't report error when file can't be opened

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Abraham Grief" <abraham(dot)grief(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4726: pg_dumpall -f doesn't report error when file can't be opened
Date: 2009-03-23 14:19:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Abraham Grief" <abraham(dot)grief(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I ran pg_dumpall on Windows Vista with the -f option. However, I wasn't
> running the command as an administrator, and I specified a path that I
> wasn't allowed to write to. The dump completed with no errors, and no file
> was created.

> Instead, I should have received an error message as soon as I ran the
> command that informed me that the file I specified could not be opened for
> writing.

Works for me ...

$ pg_dumpall -f /no/such/file
pg_dumpall: could not open the output file "/no/such/file": No such file or directory
$ pg_dumpall -f /usr/dumpfile
pg_dumpall: could not open the output file "/usr/dumpfile": Permission denied

Maybe you need to use a real operating system. The pg_dumpall code is
definitely testing for open failures, so the only way this doesn't
work is if there's a system-level problem.