Re: SQL Property Graph Queries (SQL/PGQ)

From: Florents Tselai <florents(dot)tselai(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SQL Property Graph Queries (SQL/PGQ)
Date: 2024-07-04 08:19:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In the ddl.sgml, I’d swap the first two paragraphs.
I find the first one a bit confusing as-is. As far as I can tell, it’s an implementation detail.
The first paragraph should answer, “I have some data modeled as a graph G=(V, E). Can Postgres help me?”.

Then, introducing property graphs makes more sense.

I'd also use the examples and fake data in `graph_table.sql` in ddl/queries.sgml).
I was bummed that that copy-pasting didn't work as is.
I’d keep explaining how a graph query translates to a relational one later in the page.

As for the implementation, I can’t have an opinion yet,
but for those not familiar, Apache Age uses a slightly different approach
that mimics jsonpath (parses a sublanguage expression into an internal execution engine etc.).
However, the standard requires mapping this to the relational model, which makes sense for core Postgres.