Re: Non-personal blogs on Planet

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Non-personal blogs on Planet
Date: 2020-02-26 02:26:07
Lists: pgsql-www

On 26/02/2020 00:58, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On 2/25/20 6:50 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

>>> Hmm.  Do we not have a way of removing problematic blogs from planet?
>>> We should fix that, and then we can revisit this policy.
>> Indeed posts can already be removed, and so can entire blogs. There
>> is an anti-spam policy in place.
>>
>> Instead of fighting spam with "tie content to persons", I rather see a
>> content policy. Not as strict as postings to -announce, but something
>> which can limit what can be posted, and how often.
> I'm more in favor of this. My biggest concern is the moderation burden
> by just allowing anyone to post on behalf of a conference. The turnover
> point that Christophe made actually heightens that concern (and I do
> understand it from the other side as well, it is certainly convenient to
> have people write content without having to register a new blog every year).
>
> (...though OTOH, I believe the pgeu software does allow for this)
>
>> Right now, if someone plays by the established rules, nothing prevents
>> this person from posting about every single minor release of a tool.
>> Heck, it's not even against policy to post every commit message as
>> a blog post. Clearly the existing policy/strategy is only good as long
>> as no one starts using loop holes.
> (Great, now everyone knows and moderating is going to be that much
> harder :P)

Why? Nothing to moderate, it's all valid content ;-)

>> I don't see why this policy can't be expanded to allow certain content
>> posted under, let's say, community accounts. This can be conferences
>> and PostgreSQL related tools. That should already be the majority.
> I'd be in favor for this, with the right policy. Most, if not all, of
> the content policies are in place, so I would go with one related to the
> frequency of blog posts. The goal would be to ensure that, much like
> -announce, we keep the content coming through Planet balanced. We don't
> want it to be dominated by articles coming from event blogs, but
> likewise ensure community events have good visibility.

Traditionally posting frequency on Planet is higher than on -announce.

The problem I see is two-fold: conferences, and projects/tools. Don't think
that anything else needs a non-personal account, certainly not companies.

I don't have a good idea how to policy tools. How about:

Non-personal accounts for PostgreSQL related tools can post about major
version changes, bugfix releases, and content directly related to the
project
itself. All other content (as example: tuning, configuration, best
practices, ...)
need to be posted from a personal account.

That certainly needs a better wording ...

For conferences:

Non-personal postings for conferences are limited to Community recognized
conferences. The items on the following list can each warrant a separate
posting on Planet:

* Conference announcement
* Call for Papers open
* Call for Sponsors open
* Call for Papers closed
* Schedule published
* Registration open
* Conference starts
* Conference ends
* Summary
* Major conference changes (like date or location change)

Did I miss any major items in the list?

Regards,

--
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum