Can we get SQL Server-like cross database queries

From: Guyren Howe <guyren(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Can we get SQL Server-like cross database queries
Date: 2020-06-03 19:31:57
Lists: pgsql-general

One of the few really useful features of SQL Server that Postgres doesn’t have is straightforward cross-database queries.

You can reference any table in any database on the same server you’re on as database.schema.table.

With Postgres, it is necessary to set up a FDW connection between every database where you want to perform a query and the database you want to query. In an analytics environment where a single server might have a hundred or so smaller databases, this is a grossly inefficient proposition.

Is it practical to provide the SQL Server-like feature in Postgres?